Wednesday, June 13, 2007

'Nother pound off, and Graduation day

Couldn't go to my regular weigh in spot because I'll be at my son's Middle College (High School) graduation tonight.

So I used my morning break to head over and weigh in somewhere else. One more pound off my body and that's just fine. Brings me to 257.2 lbs. I'm getting there! I've been increasing my walking to include a full circuit around the Ellwood Mesa which takes me 1.5 hours if I'm really working it and 2 hours if I'm working it but not kicking my butt. :D I've done it twice in the past week along with shorter walks with Jef. Clothes are fitting better whether the scale reflects that or not. This is where it's REALLY important for me to pay attention to my CLOTHES.

I'm changing my body composition from the lump of LARD it had become to a healthier model with MUSCLE in there somewhere. Some folks would say "muscle weighs more than fat" and that sounds good, but it's not true. The true statement would be "Muscle has less volume than fat." So that means that all the exercise I'm doing is slimming my body down but the scale won't change much for a while as the composition of fat to muscle changes. I'm OK with that. :D

I'm wearing a shirt I've not been able to wear for a couple of years and feeling like I'll look nice for my son's graduation ceremony this evening. OH! I can even wear the opal ring that Jef gave me for our first Newtonmas together. (For those of you wondering, Sir Isaac Newton was born on Dec. 25th.) I'm happy about that, I love opals and I really like the ring due to the triangular shape of the stone. It's different and pretty and I'm so happy to be wearing again. :D :D

Having some struggles with my son lately and it's all because I'm having trouble letting him go...that's MY issue and I believe I've figured out why and what and what's next. Just need to talk with him after graduation tonight and then back myself OFF. I sure wish I could tell him WITHOUT tears, but it seems I'm doomed to be tearful when it comes to this part of our life. And we'll both be fine. He's got good tools in his toolbox, I just need to trust he'll use them when he needs 'em. It's been rough, because it's always been him and me in each other's corner...and I had different hopes and dreams about how he'd separate from me and go off to become a man...but he's doing it his OWN way and it took me this long to realize that I'm having a difficult time because of MY HOPES. Reminds me of a favorite old song by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young:

Teach Your Children:

You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die.

Teach your parents well,
Their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Taking a deep breath and proudly watching him fly. :*-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your post. What a great song. Interesting how the way we look at things is always changing... R

Sans said...

Congrats, Liz, I'm so happy for you! Congrats on your son's graduation, too--people sometimes forget how much work it is to get them there. I'm definitely signing up to read your blog so I can cheer you on and join you :)